In collaboration with the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), RIMES offers fellowships for a 2-year Master Program in Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation, and Management. The RIMES-AIT Graduate Fellowship Program aims to ensure a dynamic human resource base in RIMES Member States on hydro-meteorological and tsunami warning, research, and applications.
Under this program, RIMES provides financial support to maximum two students for the Master Program. RIMES supports registration and coursework tuition fees, including living allowance to cover accommodation, medical insurance and visa fees, while AIT supports tuition for the thesis work.
RIMES provides Fellows the opportunity to participate in earthquake monitoring and tsunami watch, being exposed to the demands of early warning operations and challenges of early warning information application for reducing disaster risks. For that purpose, the Fellow serves 40 hours per month as a Watch Stander at RIMES earthquake and tsunami watch division, alongside his/her academic activities.
AIT proposes to RIMES the best candidates from the pool of applications; RIMES makes the final selection from the short-listed candidates. Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- Applicant is a national of a RIMES Member State
- Bachelor's degree in science, engineering, mathematics, or relevant field
- Strong academic record (GPA of 3.5 or more, out of 4)
- At least 2 years relevant work experience
- Previous research experience
- Has a plan of research
- Personal statement showing academic and research promises
- Mr. Mohamed Innayath, Maldives
- Mr. Md. Faruk Hossain, Bangladesh
- Mr. Nguyen Xuoan Dao, Vietnam
- Ms. Arie Ratna Agustien, Indonesia