Position Title: Programme Officer
Open Period: 5 January 2024 - 4 February 2024
Background: The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia
(RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. RIMES evolved from the efforts of countries in Africa and Asia, in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, to establish a regional early warning system within a multi-hazard framework for the generation and communication of early warning information, and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards. RIMES was established on 30 April 2009, and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009. RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located at the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
The Programme Officer supports the design, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation of RIMES’ programs and projects in the Risk Knowledge Applications Department.
Duty station: RIMES Regional Facility, AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand
Type of Contract: Full-Time Contract
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Disaster Risk Management, Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Management, Project Management, Public Administration, or related fields. Bachelor’s degree with at least 6 years of work experience in designing, managing, and implementing projects related to climate information application and disaster risk reduction.
• At least 4 years of solid experience in national and/or international program/project management, including monitoring and evaluation, stakeholder coordination and engagement, and partnership building
• At least 3 years of experience in project design and conceptualization which includes training components for the government and communities
• Familiarity with weather and climate information applications in different sectors, early warning systems, and climate services.
• Highly skilled in assessing needs and gaps, planning, designing, implementing, managing and evaluating programs/projects
• Strong communication and interpersonal, writing, analysis, and planning skills
• Ability to work amicably in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary work environment
• Excellent knowledge of English (both oral and written)
• Self-motivated, flexible and able to work effectively and independently
• Excellent work ethic and aptitude to work with a constructive attitude;
• Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results;
Shows persistence when faced with difficulties or challenges
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Program and Project Implementation and Management
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships and coordination with government agencies, local authorities and communities, and relevant institutions and/or country partners/focals for implementing program/project activities
• Ensure delivery of high-quality outputs and timely implementation of the work plan
• Facilitate development, customization, and/or translation of training manuals, guides, information materials, and other documents
• Organize and facilitate forums, trainings, workshops, and other capacity-building activities
• Assist with recruitment of consultants and procurement of equipment, particularly in the development of the terms of references, and the screening of consultants or suppliers
• Collaborate with the different departments and units in RIMES to identify synergies and areas of complementation
• Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement within the team, including staying up-to-date with the latest technologies, trends, and best practices in early warning, climate and disaster resilience, and climate applications
Program and Project Monitoring and Evaluation
• Establish suitable monitoring mechanisms and conduct regular monitoring, field visits, and reporting on program/project progress, risks, and constraints
• Assist in the facilitation and management of field visits by donors and partners
• Document highlights, good practices, and lessons learned, including stakeholders and users’ feedback and relevant information for improving the decision support systems
• Conduct quality and timely technical/progress and financial monitoring and reporting
Program and Project Design and Planning
• Contribute to program and project formulation and proposal development relating to early warning, climate and disaster resilience, and climate applications
• Conduct needs and requirements gathering and analysis
• Support program/project planning through strategic foresight and innovative approaches
• Promote coordination and dialogues among stakeholders for learning and knowledge sharing
• Participate actively in meetings/discussions with program and project partners and RIMES team, where required
• Other duties as assigned by the EWS Specialist, Program Development Specialist, and RIMES Director.
• Monthly progress reports on assigned tasks
• Deliverables according to timeline agreed with immediate supervisor
Immediate Supervisor: Early Warning Systems Specialist and/or Program Development Specialist
Contract Duration: The contract will initially be for one year and will be extended upon satisfactory completion of the 120 Days probationary term and each annual performance review.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send your application letter, resume, salary expectation and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight of 4 February 2024, Bangkok time. Please state “Programme Officer” the Subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Ms. Dusadee Padungkul
Head, Department of Operational Support
Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System
AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1,
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
RIMES promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Well-qualified applicants particularly women are encouraged to apply.