Position Title: Software Application Developer
Open Period: 19 May 2023 – 18 June 2023
Background: The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia
(RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental institution, owned and managed by its Member States, for the generation and application of early warning information. RIMES evolved from the efforts of countries in Africa and Asia, in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, to establish a regional early warning system within a multi-hazard framework for the generation and communication of early warning information, and capacity building for preparedness and response to trans-boundary hazards. RIMES was established on 30 April 2009, and was registered with the United Nations on 1 July 2009. RIMES operates from its regional early warning center located at the campus of the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani, Thailand.
The Software Application Developer supports RIMES Systems Development and Research Unit in developing the state-of-the-art meteorological data Visualization platform and other Decision support systems.
Duty station: IMD, Mausam Bhawan, New Delhi, India
Type of Contract: Full-time, project-based contract
• A minimum Bachelors’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Information Communication and Technology, or related fields.
• Implement a robust set of functional and services to power frontend of web application.
• Build highly complex user interface applications and back-end databases integration using expert-level skills in various web development tools, programming languages, and scripting languages.
• Actively address non-functional requirements such as performance, security, scalability, continuous integration, migration, and compatibility.
• Strong knowledge of the development of Application programming interfaces (APIs).
• Extensive knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, and enterprise software applications;
• Strong Knowledge in working with Web Map services, Open Layers
• A minimum of 2 Years of experience in software development, with a proven track record of technical development.
• Strong knowledge of Angular; and experience in database design (MySQL, Microsoft SQL, or Access).
• Experience in HTML5, Angular JS, Python, PHP, Perl, and shell; adequate experience in various Linux/Unix distribution platforms.
• For iOS, Mobile iOS development (Swift, Objective C), Experience with Xcode.
• For Android, Experience with Mobile Android Development (Java, Kotlin) Experience with Android Studio.
• Having DevOps experience is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving ability; English proficiency in communication, presentation, and report writing.
Self-motivated, with ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities; flexibility and ability to work hard independently and in a team; ability to work in a high-pressure on-call environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Software Application Developer shall be primarily involved in developing/ customizing the Meteorological Data visualization and analytics platform and other DSS tools. Other tasks include:
• Develop a framework for the data visualization tool and include features as per recommendations from the NHMS.
• Planning, designing, and developing, the Data visualization platform by understanding various types of meteorological data.
• Validating new systems, solutions, and processes to meet user needs and requirements effectively and efficiently
• Understanding and processing different scientific data formats used by RIMES and API services from the DATAEX platform and integrating them under the required tool.
• Work with the RIMES development and GIS teams to understand and integrate the different products under the tool.
• Assurance of system and product reliability, scalability, extensibility, security, and performance
• Timely delivery of systems, products, and processes and regular reporting of project progress
• Documentation of system/ product development
• Involvement in planning, design, development, and delivery of users training
• Implementation and seamless integration of the new system with existing systems
• Testing of new technologies, approaches, and solutions, and integration into system development work
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Immediate Supervisor: Head, Risk Knowledge Applications & Project Manager.
Technical Supervisor: Head, Systems Research and Development.
Contract Duration: The contract will initially be for one year and will be extended upon satisfactory completion of the 120 Days probationary term and each annual performance review.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send your application letter, resume, salary expectation and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight of 18 June 2023, Bangkok time. Please state “Software Application Developer:Name “ the Subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Ms. Dusadee Padungkul
Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System
AIT Campus, 58 Moo 9 Paholyothin Rd., Klong 1,
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 Thailand.
RIMES promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Well-qualified applicants particularly women are encouraged to apply.